Wilk Hosts Roundtable Discussion on Illegal Cannabis Grows in AV
Read Senator Wilk’s full letter inviting Attorney General Bonta to Senate District 21, here.
In the invitation, Senator Wilk points to the recent seizure of 74 tons of illicitly grown marijuana in east Los Angeles County in June 2021 as a reason why Attorney General Bonta needs to act immediately to identify additional resources to aid in addressing the increasing issues associated with illegal marijuana sites.
"Illegal marijuana grows are lucrative and have become prolific in California because of the state’s soft-on-crime policies. They have exploded in my area of Los Angeles County because the County’s new District Attorney has made it a point not to prosecute these types of crimes to the full extent of the law. This stance brings a major criminal element into otherwise safe communities, causes pollution from the illegal chemicals used in these grows, creates rampant water theft, and pushes legal, licensed marijuana farmers out of the marketplace."
- They divert and steal water from law-abiding farmers, worsening the already-intense drought conditions facing our food and water supplies;
- Their disregard for environmental stewardship leads to deforestation, wildfires, and harmful pollution;
- They push legal growers out of the market in a time where many citizens and businesses are already feeling the crunch of today’s economy;
- Finally, illegal growers play a part in our state’s concerning trends in crime and are responsible for the murders of several members of the High Desert community.
Articles on the growing problems of illegal marijuana cultivation sites:
- ABC 7 Los Angeles: LA County Sheriff's Department cracks down on illegal marijuana grows in the High Desert
- Los Angeles Times: Illegal pot invades California’s deserts, bringing violence, fear, ecological destruction
- KTLA 5 Los Angeles: More than $1B worth of marijuana seized during ‘historic’ bust in Antelope Valley: LASD
- FOX 11 Los Angeles: Authorities seize millions of dollars worth of marijuana from 500 illegal grows in Antelope Valley area
- Antelope Valley Press: Pot grows proliferating in AV
Senator Wilk in the News on Illegal Cannabis Cultivation Sites:
- Antelope Valley Press: https://www.avpress.com/news/aerial-tour-of-illegal-cannabis-grows/article_3916906c-070e-11ed-bc7e-a796ee77e30e.html
- Antelope Valley Times: https://theavtimes.com/2022/07/14/wilk-hosts-discussion-on-illegal-cannabis-grows-in-the-av/
- The Signal SCV: https://signalscv.com/2022/07/bonta-joins-wilk-lackey-for-roundtable-on-illegal-cannabis-grows/
- KHTS AM1220: https://www.hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/politics/senator-wilk-applauds-law-enforcement-after-four-water-thieves-arrested-in-connection-with-illegal-marijuana-grows-378151
- KHTS AM1220: https://www.hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/politics/lawmakers-look-towards-statewide-approach-to-end-illegal-marijuana-grows-in-and-around-santa-clarita-381802